Monday 21 July 2008

Moscow and the Green City















My summer home; unfortunately it is a 2-hour trip from Moscow proper















The Russians are following Italy in their high fashion. Moscow is the most 'expensive' city in the world because of real estate and clothing, both of which are HUGE statistical outliers










Dmitry, who is Dean of Journalism at Lomonosova















A close-up example of Orthodox art; these paintings cover the temple on Red Square















Aleksey Simonov, the President of the Fund for the Defense of Glasnost















The temple on Red Square















""















My buddies Dima and Roma; they keep me good company when I'm not busy reading, writing, or travelling to and from Moscow. They live in my village




















This is the forest path upon which I traverse the forest surrounding my village. I then walk 15 minutes to a bus-stop, ride for 30 minutes to Zelenograd - or 'Green City' - then ride 45 minutes to the Northern-most Moscow metro station, then another 45 minutes through the metro into Central Moscow. This is all contingent on whether I make it out of the mesquito-infested forest in the first place















My Russian Grandmother Lyusya, who is a wonderful cook















This is the view from our front door

4 comments:

Yolanda said...

Holy smokes, I never knew you talked so much! Who is this Austin? I'm not really sure, so yeah, get me some pictures cuz I'll admit right now I hardly read any of that. :) Oh yeah, how the heck are you? :) You sound a little too grown up, stop that.

rain said...

Wow. I want to travel. The Temple is beautiful. I'm always amazed at how different architecture is around the world...yeah, that's small-minded of me, but truth. So much color. And you have a washer or dryer in your yard! Bonus. :)

Anonymous said...

Aw, shucks! I thought the forest was really beautiful, until you mentioned mosquitos! I'm enjoying your blog...I'm traveling too, but not to such exotic places -- Kansas City, Lawrence, KS; St. Louis, Vermillion, SD; Sioux City, IA and home!

Zachary Queen said...

Austin, your living situation sounds pretty awesome, that's cool to have such an opportunity. And exciting that you're meeting people so directly related to your research. It sounds like you're really getting at what you wanted. Molodec. Enjoy Russia and all the culture that comes with it. I'm rooting for you.

Kvinchik