Monday 21 July 2008

Cambridge II

So far I have been bad at keeping a log (though I promised to not write descriptively, so perhaps I’m covered) of my travels but you will understand why when I relate the events of these past many days. First of all, tonight was the first shower I’ve had in just under a week, but we’ll get to Russia later. For now, I should describe Cambridge in all its glory; unfortunately I didn’t take a single picture, but this was because I felt that the place was too sacred to defile with the spirit of tourism. And I stayed with a friend in King’s College…IN King’s College, which is right in the middle of the University and contains some of the best examples of Cambridge’s gothic architecture. The place is absolutely stunning, in both view and feel. I will echo the words of Sir Thomas in saying that Cambridge inspires one to become an excellent scholar. I must say that I really played the whole thing up and bought myself a cap from Edinburgh Woolen Mills, along with traditional English socks, and thus walked around the city. We went punting along the river Cam, which was difficult and crowded, but I think that if one went in the rain, nobody else would clog the river. I tell you that punting along the river Cam, in the rain, after reading some good book in King’s College Library, while looking forward to Evensong, is my idea of a good time.

No comments: